For the most part, the Changchun Friends website is not very active and has been superseded by the Tencent "Wechat" app by the local expat community. This website is maintained sporadically, people may still join and membership is still open, but if you are a spammer, stay away. The archived information here is still useful, but some may be out of date. There are plans to make it more useful for static information in the future. If anyone needs information about Changchun or China, you may post a message and it probably will get a response but not immediately.

Changchun Friends

a great way to get involved

How might one find out if a restaurant or eating facility is using that toxic disgusting recycled cooking oil to prepare their dishes?

I was just told by a coworker that the cafeteria I've been eating at uses it. 

Can anybody give any tips on how one can be on the safer side of things here? 

Thanks,

Michael

Views: 466

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Order boiled or steamed food.

Thanks Chris... though I have worked for a Chinese restaurant in Australia and sesame oil was added to soups. Possibly the 'recycled' oil could be added to even these?? 

Chris Knight said:

Order boiled or steamed food.

Possible, but I doubt it. Sesame oil has its own distinct smell and flavour. One thing about the recycled oil ... smell the food. recycled oil is rank! You'll notice it if your food smells like it was regurgitated by a bull mastiff last week.

LOL... good answer, Chris! But man, I don't want to be paying for food that when it gets to my table is inedible. I'd like to be in that kitchen with them!

Chris Knight said:

Possible, but I doubt it. Sesame oil has its own distinct smell and flavour. One thing about the recycled oil ... smell the food. recycled oil is rank! You'll notice it if your food smells like it was regurgitated by a bull mastiff last week.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone wanted to start a new private side business and did routine 'hygiene/health inspections" by visiting kitchens of different restaurants and then giving a stamp of approval of some sort in order to attract more customers: foreign and Chinese. Then they could advertise that they are a clean facility.

Southern California has been doing this for years already where retail food facilities are inspected and then receive a letter grade or a score.  The score then must, by law, be hung in the front window.

Problem is ... T.I.C. . People would make their own "scores" and hang them in the window. LOL.

If a foreigner tried to do what you are proposing, his "side business" would be shut down PDQ, and he'd be warned about "interfering".

I had that today, when I tried to get the uni to check on one of my students who was missing too many classes. He wasn't only missing my class, he was skipping ALL of his classes. I was told not to interfere in the internal affairs of China. I was "just a teacher", and wasn't supposed to care about my students well-being.

If that can happen to a teacher, imagine what could happen to an "inspector". 

I was just invited out again by friends, and I told them that I wanted to pick the restaurant this time.  I will probably end up going to Sufi - the Turkish restaurant.  I believe they only use Hallal/Muslim meat and the recycled oil would NOT be in their best interest. 

If there are other trusted facilities, perhaps we can put together a list on this website.  There are different ways to explain to our Chinese hosts why we can only eat at specific places.

1. You are not accustomed to exotic food.
2. You are not accustomed to Chinese food.
3. You have various food allergies
4. You are Jewish, Muslim, Vegetarian and have certain standards.
5. Or be honest, and tell the truth about your concern about the oil.

Christine Lidster said:

LOL... good answer, Chris! But man, I don't want to be paying for food that when it gets to my table is inedible. I'd like to be in that kitchen with them!

Chris Knight said:

Excellent idea Michael. Put your last post and any other ideas here:

http://richardroman.ning.com/group/the-changchun-survival-guide

Looks like I'll have to go with No.5 or boiled/ steamed options.

Michael Eden said:

I was just invited out again by friends, and I told them that I wanted to pick the restaurant this time.  I will probably end up going to Sufi - the Turkish restaurant.  I believe they only use Hallal/Muslim meat and the recycled oil would NOT be in their best interest. 

If there are other trusted facilities, perhaps we can put together a list on this website.  There are different ways to explain to our Chinese hosts why we can only eat at specific places.

1. You are not accustomed to exotic food.
2. You are not accustomed to Chinese food.
3. You have various food allergies
4. You are Jewish, Muslim, Vegetarian and have certain standards.
5. Or be honest, and tell the truth about your concern about the oil.

Christine Lidster said:

Chris Knight said:

Major bummer that they are sooo into this mindset.  I often get a surprised look by students when I actually show I 'care' about a certain social issue in China.  I just read the article on this site about the Brazilian who tried stopping a thief and ended up getting hurt because nobody else jumped in to help.  Afterwards he concluded he would never try to help someone in this country again.  I guess we can't help those who are not willing to help themselves.

But you are right about people copying the food rating system...unless it is just a small list we make for this website, for our own purposes.... 

Chris Knight said:

Problem is ... T.I.C. . People would make their own "scores" and hang them in the window. LOL.

If a foreigner tried to do what you are proposing, his "side business" would be shut down PDQ, and he'd be warned about "interfering".

I had that today, when I tried to get the uni to check on one of my students who was missing too many classes. He wasn't only missing my class, he was skipping ALL of his classes. I was told not to interfere in the internal affairs of China. I was "just a teacher", and wasn't supposed to care about my students well-being.

If that can happen to a teacher, imagine what could happen to an "inspector". 

It would be perfect for the Survival Guide. We could let those restaurants know that they are in our "Preferred List", but the moment things go wrong, we take them off and foreigners will stop going there. 

The BBQ places may be the main culprits of the so called 'oil' problems that appear in the news

Reply to Discussion

RSS

CHANGCHUN STREET VIEW

In and around Changchun with QQ Soso street maps:

Birthdays

© 2024   Created by Richard Roman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service